When it comes to trimming curly hair, there are very many options you could consider. Plus, there are a few tips and tricks you can try if you don’t feel like going out to the salon.
How to Cut Curly Hair For Men
Before we talk about the main process of how to cut curly hair for men, here’s a sneak peek of the different ways (methods) you could use to do the cutting.
- Use Hair Cutting Shears
You can use this tool to trim the top. The hair-cutting shears will allow you to leave the top section of the hair a bit longer than the back and sides. However, if the person whose hair you’re cutting needs a buzzed and even length over their head, you can still use the hair cutting shears to trim the top so you don’t cut off too much.
When cutting, leave some length on top for a medium or long-length hairstyle. For a medium-length hairstyle, you should leave the hair 3 in (7.6 cm) or about that along the top. For a long-length cut, you can leave the hair at about 5 or 6 in (13 or 15 cm) long, so it can frame the sides of the head.
- Use Hair Clippers
With hair clippers, you’ll be able to keep the sides and back short and tapered. Clippers are a perfect option if you’re looking to achieve a clean-cut look along the sides and back of your head. Whenever you use clippers, you’ll need to pick out the right guard (which is a special cover that helps give your hair a short and consistent length).
The right guard length solely depends on how short the person wants the back and sides of their hair to be. Clipper guards are labeled with different numbers (the smaller the number, the shorter the haircut will be). For example, a number 8 guard will leave hair 1 in (2.5 cm) long, while a number 1 guard will leave hair 1⁄8 in (0.32 cm) long.
- Use Shears
If you want your hair to be a bit longer, your best bet will be the shears. Just allow the hair to grow out all around your head, and make minor adjustments with a pair of hair-cutting shears.
Endeavor to trim the hair every 3 to 6 weeks. Fine-tuned haircuts, like fades, can get really unruly if they aren’t adjusted and trimmed regularly. Don’t worry about trimming hair once every weekend. You can trim once a month or around that pace to keep a clean and beautiful look.
How To Cut Men’s Curly Hair
Cutting curly hair is exceptionally more challenging than other hair types. That’s why it’s mostly recommended to just pick up the scissors and use the classic blunt cutting technique to cut as much or little hair as you want. After that, apply your hair oil or gel for a better texture and definition.
In this step-by-step guide, you will understand how to cut curly hair for men using the blunt cutting technique to build strength and shape all in one.
- Begin by creating a horseshoe section at the back. Then, work through horizontal sections and blunt cut the hair to your desired length. Use the clipper overcome technique on the hairline to make the hair shorter on the perimeter. Apply the same technique on the sides.
- Move towards the top section and work through the horizontal sections pulled to the front area. Then, blunt cut right above the eyebrows and comb the hair to the hat line. Do the blunt cutting again to connect the sides and the top. This technique will help you keep the maximum length at the top of your head and create a slight oval shape.
- Touch up the new look by applying your hair oil or gel to improve the hair texture and create a better definition and shiny appearance.
Best Tips for Styling Men’s Curly Hair
As you may already know, curly hair isn’t so easy to manage. One minute, your hair looks totally silky and shiny, and the next, it looks all tattered. Interestingly, there are easy ways to maintain those curls and keep them looking pristine and shiny every time of the day.
- Make sure to shampoo only once every 2 to 3 days to prevent your curly hair from getting dry. Make sure to use a moisturizing conditioner to cut back on frizz.
- If your goal is to get tight and tidy curls, use a high-hold and matte-finish styling product. Also, when applying the product, work it through from the roots when your hair is still damp.
- If you want to maintain a voluminous and shiny curly hair, use a moisturizing sea salt spray.
- If your curly hair strands are very thick and you find it difficult to manage the day-to-day styling, ask your hairstylist to haphazardly cut off some strands throughout as this will give your hair more manageability and also be less fluffy.
- Avoid using a dry matte product as this will only make your hair larger than normal and will also make your curls to be less defined.
- To keep your curls feeling soft and looking, be sure to use a moisturizing conditioner to keep your hair hydrated.
- When having your haircut, tell your stylist to point cut the very ends, instead of cutting in a blunt straight line. This technique will make your curls softer, unlike the latter which will result in a hard-edged appearance.
Curly hair can have great thickness and requires a lot of care to keep it in a healthy condition. You can maintain it and keep it healthy by cutting it regularly. However, there are some rules you out your stylist must observe so the texture of your hair isn’t ruined. We’ve extensively analyzed the basic steps and tricks on how to cut curly hair for men. Carefully follow them and you’ll keep people in awe when you walk down a room.